NOTE: Programs rotate and change monthly. Call for details.
OVERVIEW: Provides afternoon, evening, and summer programs for girls' ages 6-18 years old.
1) SPORTS PARTICIPATION
o SPORTING CHANCE: Girls ages 12-14 learn basic movement and sport skills; increase their coordination, endurance and strength; consider sports career opportunities; learn about successful athletes and the history of women in sports.
o STEPPING STONES: Girls ages 6-8 work to develop basic motor skills, body management, manipulative skills and fitness appreciation.
o BULLYING PREVENTION: Girls ages 6-18 learn bullying prevention skills.
2) SCIENCE, MATH, & RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES
o OPERATION SMART: (Science, Math and Relevant Technology) A hands-on math, science, and technology program for girls ages 6-18. Projects include making mechanical repairs to bikes and computers, with exposure to nontraditional, highly technical, and high-paying careers.
o COMPUTERS: Girls ages 6-18 have learn and have access to the latest computer technology.
3) LEADERSHIP PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
o JUNIOR LEADERSHIP: Gives girls ages 12-18 the opportunity to learn the "7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens" from the book written by Sean Covey.
o GIRLS ENCOURAGE: An adventure sports program for girls in 5th grade and up.
4) VIOLENCE ABUSE PREVENTION
o KID-ABILITY: Girls ages 6-10 participate in this program that is designed to help prevent child abuse, both physical and sexual
o ACTION FOR SAFETY: Girls ages 9-11 participate in a twelve-hour self-defense and violence prevention course.
5) DRUG PREVENTION
o FRIENDLY PERSUASION: Girls ages 11-14 learn decision-making, assertiveness, and communication skills, which include practicing how to walk away from situations where they feel pressured to use alcohol or drugs. Girls take what they learn and plan substance-abuse prevention activities for groups of children ages 6 through 10.
6) PREVENTING ADOLESCENT PREGNANCY
o MY GIRLFRIEND ZELDA: An introductory to anatomy and physiology program for girls ages 6-8 years of age.
o GROWING TOGETHER: Five interactive sessions to jump-start crucial, two-way conversations between girls ages 9-11 & a parent/adult, about sexuality issues.
o WILL POWER/WON'T POWER: A 10-session program that teaches girls ages 12-14 how to say no to sex as they enter the most pressure-sensitive adolescent years.
o IT'S YOUR GAME: A teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease (including HIV) prevention program for girls/boys ages 12-14. A computer based program taught in Middle School classrooms.
7) ECONOMIC LITERACY: Offers girls 8 to 18 years old programs concerning economics, creating a budget and how to spend, save and invest money wisely.
8) BANKING & LA BOUTIQUE: Girls ages 6-18 earn Girls Inc. dollars by following rules, participating in activities and helping out at the center. Each girls receives a checkbook and an account and once a month they visit the Girls Inc. bank to deposit their earnings,.
9) FIELD TRIPS AND RECREATIONAL/SPECIAL EVENTS: Groups attend various workshops, seminars and visit various places such as the Lake Tobias Wildlife Park, Susquehanna River Boot, and The D.C. Aquarium. Activities vary per season. Call for details.
10) TRANSPORTATION: Provides transportation after school from some Washington County Schools. Call for further information.
626 Washington Avenue
Agency: Girls Inc. of Washington County
Languages Available: American Sign Language, Spanish
Payment Description: $10.00 registration fee paid once per year. Monthly fee of $30.00 and that includes dinner Monday through Thursday. $10.00 additional fee per month for van service.
Intake and Eligibility: Girls ages 6-18 years old