OVERVIEW: Offers traditional education from kindergarten through middle school.
1) SCHOOL COMMUNITY CENTERS PROGRAM: Provides sports activities, tutoring, homework, assistance, and nature study. Offers exercising, weight lifting, math, history, movies, archery, bowling, softball and roller skating.
2) WINNERS PROGRAM: Educates elementary school students on the dangers and the pressures associated with the use of drugs. 17 lessons on drug abuse are delivered to 5th grade students during their school day. Individual talks are given to students in K-5, and to citizen groups.
3) HICKORY ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION CENTER: Educates groups of students on a daily basis about nature and helps develop their awareness of the natural environment. Runs many week long residential summer camp programs for students who have just completed 4th grade. The only associated fees the children pay are for their meals and snacks.
4) PLANETARIUM (located in the Hickory Environment Education Center Building): Provides instructions in planetary, earth and biological sciences for grades K-12 to support the science curriculum. (Uses Starlog, a portable planetarium - used in various schools).
5) PARENTING PROGRAM: Available only in Title 1 schools. It is an after-school program held a few times a year - not year long.
40 South Second Street
Agency: Garrett County Public Schools
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: No cost for education. Some cost apply for certain services.
Intake and Eligibility: Focuses on students grades Pre K-5th grade.