OVERVIEW: Provides assistance with screening and applying for Medical Assistance/Medicaid/MA. Medical Assistance provides health coverage for some low-income individuals, families, older adults and people with disabilities. Also assists individuals with questions/concerns regarding the Medicare Beneficiary programs.
1) QUALIFIED DISABLED AND WORKING INDIVIDUALS: Serves individuals 65 and older or working disabled individuals 65 and under who are blind, physically disabled, or developmentally disabled. Requires documentation of disability.
Individual $4,132 $4,280
Couple $5,572 $6,280
2) QUALIFIED MEDICARE BENEFICIARY PROGRAM: Serves individuals who are on Medicare. Helps pay for Part A and Part B premiums, co-payments, and deductibles. If you have questions/concerns, please call Medicare at 800-633-4227.
Individual $1,032 $ 7,560
Couple $1,392 $11.340
3) SPECIFIED LOW-INCOME MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES: Serves individuals who are Medicare recipients but who are ineligible for Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program. Pays only Part B premium. Includes $20 per month income disregard. If you have any questions/concerns, please call Medicare at 800-633-4227.
Individual $1,234 $7,560
Couple $1,666 $11.340
4) EXPANDED MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Assists individuals and families may qualify for health care benefits under the Health Care Reform. Eligibility is based on income limits. If you currently have Medical Assistance and have questions, call the MA Helpline at 800-456-8900. If you are uninsured and seeking to apply for MA call a local DSS, or Maryland Health Connection at 855-642-8572.
Household Size Income Limits
1 Less than $16,643
2 Less than $22,411
3 Less than $28,1801
4 Less than $33,948
5 Less than $39,716
6 Less than $45,485
7 Less than $51,253
8 Less than $57,022
INTAKE: Individuals apply to their local Department of Social Services or Health Department. Most clients determined to be eligible for Medical Assistance are required to choose a health care provider (Managed Care Organization or MCO). The Managed Care System is called Health Choice and affects all existing Medical Assistance clients and new applicants. Medical Assistance recipients have 21 days to choose an MCO provider and submit forms. If they do not choose a provider within that time frame, they will automatically be assigned one. Home visits are available to assist homebound clients with the application process. Medical Assistance recipients may choose to switch MCO providers on an annual basis during the open enrollment period.
5) LONG TERM CARE MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Medical insurance for clients who are residing in a long term care facility for more than 30 days.
Medical Assistance Helpline:
12578 Garrett Highway
Agency: Garrett County Department of Social Services
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: None.
Intake and Eligibility: Low-income, uninsured individuals and families. Must meet income guidelines.