NOTE: Satellite Offices in Frederick on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month (301-600-1071) and Cumberland on the 3rd Tuesday of each month (301-722-2000 EX 6416).
OVERVIEW: Offers consumer protection against unfair trade practices, health plan refusal, and advocates for fair consumer protection laws.
1) CONSUMER PROTECTION: Provides consumers with assistance in resolving complaints concerning unfair and deceptive trade practices. Responsible for complaint mediation; arbitration enforcement of civil remedies through court litigation (does not represent individual consumers in court). Provides information concerning a business complaint record. Call the consumer hotline for immediate response. Response time for other complaints may take two weeks or longer.
2) HEALTH UNIT: Assist consumers whose health plan has refused to cover a medical procedure or pay for a medical service that has already been provided. Assists consumers in resolving billing disputes with hospitals, doctors, insurance companies and other health care providers; negotiates refunds or repairs for medical equipment and other health care products that are defective or were never delivered. Immediate response through hotline. Response time for other complaints, two weeks or more.
3) PUBLICATION/LITERATURE: Offers a variety of publications to consumers including:
o Consumer guides on buying used cars, purchasing health care, landlord and tenant rights and obligations, selecting a nursing home and other subjects.
o In-depth articles in a newsletter-style format on such topics as prescription drugs, home improvements, and complaining effectively.
o Consumers Edge, a series of short articles about common consumer problems and scams.
o Fact Sheets, a brief explanation of one's rights under Maryland law.
4) LEGISLATION: Recommends legislation to protect the public from fraudulent schemes and promotions.
5) BUSINESS INQUIRIES: Response to inquiries from businesses regarding the requirements of Maryland law.
6) IDENTITY THEFT For information on identity theft and privacy issues contact our Identity Theft Unit at 410-576-6574. For a universal fraud affidavit, an in-depth guide for recovering from identity theft and to file a complaint, contact the Identity Theft Line at 410-576-6574 or www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov. Passport may help resolve financial issues caused by identity theft. Apply for Passport by contacting the Identity Theft Unit at IDTheft@oag.state.md.us.
7) CREDIT CARD/REPORTS/RESOURCES In addition to the reporting venues below report the fraudulent activity to the local police department and place a credit freeze on the account.
Send freeze requests via certified mail to:
o Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348
o Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013
o Trans Union, Fraud Victim Assistance Department, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834
For Copy of Credit Report:
o Equifax: (888) 766-0008. Order a copy of the report: (800) 685-1111. Website: www.equifax.com.
o Experian: (888) 397-3742. Order a copy of the report: (888) 397-3742. Website: www.experian.com
o Trans Union: (800) 680-7289. Order a copy of the report: (877) 322-8228. Website: www.transunion.com
Toll Free Medical and Health Advocate:
- Baltimore Office
- Baltimore Office
- Western Maryland Office
44 North Potomac Street
Agency: Maryland Office of the Attorney General
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: None.
Intake and Eligibility: Open to public.
- Washington County
- Allegany County
- Frederick County
- Garrett County