OVERVIEW: Outreach arm of University of Maryland Extension which provides information and classes in nutrition education, healthy living, financial literacy, youth development, horticulture and agriculture.
1) AGRICULTURAL AND NATURAL RESOURCES: Provides educational programs and advice in agriculture, nutrient management, marketing and agribusiness, including pesticide use training and certification.
2) NUTRITION EDUCATION: Food Stamp Nutrition Education (FSNE) and Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)): Provide nutrition education to low-income families and youth to help them improve eating habits and overall health. Includes teacher training for Integrating Nutrition Into the Classroom.
3) FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCE: Provides educational programs to assist families and individuals to improve their financial literacy.
4) 4-H YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: Provides afterschool, inschool and 4-H club experiential learning programs for youth ages 5-18 to help them develop excellent leadership and citizenship skills. Offers training to volunteers who work with the youth.
5) MASTER GARDENER VOLUNTEER PROGRAM: Provides opportunity for county residents to develop knowledge in horticulture and related topics including home food production, sound environmental practices, storm water management and related topics.Trained Master Gardeners volunteer throughout the community.
6) HOME AND GARDEN INFORMATION CENTER: Offers an information line that responds to consumer questions about gardens, landscaping, weed and insect identification, etc. 1-800-342-2507 or visit https://extension.umd.edu/hgic
Services also provided at Center for Educational Partnership 6200 Sheridan St. Riverdale, MD. 20737 301 779-2806
UMD Prince George's County