OVERVIEW: Educates and advocates for social justice and provides emergency food, clothing, shelter and financial assistance for those in need.
1) INTERFAITH CLOTHING CENTER: Offers children's and adults' clothing, sheets, towels, blankets and small quantities of dishes, pots and pans. Items distributed Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM, and for disabled clients only Wednesdays. Center is located at 751 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, MD 20851. Call 301-424-3796.
2) COMMUNITY BASED SHELTERS: Operates several shelters across the county for target populations:
--Becky's House: Provides case management and 24-hour staff for up to eight senior, disabled women. Call 301-933-2477.
--Carroll House: 32-bed facility providing housing for about 70 men each year. Call 301-587-7270.
--Watkins Mill House: Transitional housing program for as many as 16 homeless women with behavioral health needs.
3) RENT, MORTGAGE, AND UTILITY ASSISTANCE: May provide up to $500 for rent, mortgage, and utility assistance. Utilities include gas and electric (no water). Assistance only offered if the utilities are provided by Pepco or Washington Gas. For an outstanding bill under $500, please call 240-641-6307 (utilities) or 240-641-6308 (rent and mortgage) directly. For outstanding bills over $500, please first reach out to a community partner for a referral to this organization. Community partners are: Bethesda Cares, CMR, EMEAN, MUM, MUSST, Faith Connections, UMAN, WUMCO, JSSA, the Salvation Army, and Catholic Charities.
4) FRIENDS IN ACTION: Program where teams work in mentoring groups of 5-10 people, who volunteer to help at-risk and homeless families identify their strengths and develop attainable and manageable goals toward self-sufficiency. A one-year commitment is required. Call 301-424-3796.
5) INTERFAITH HOUSING COALITION: Provides permanent housing and supportive services to families in 26 units across the county. Call 301-762-8682.
6) INTERFAITH HOMES: Houses 31 chronically homeless, disabled men and women annually in scattered-site, permanent supportive housing. Offers case management and the support of a dedicated nurse.
7) WOMEN'S CENTER: Provides emergency shelter, meals and case management to more than 250 women annually through a 65-bed facility. Acts as an intake and assessment center for all single adult homeless women in the County. (Formerly the Wilkins Avenue Women's Assessment Center.) Call 301-770-2413.
8) EMPOWERMENT CENTER: Day program for homeless men & women. Meals & showers are available. Job training, skill assessment, mental health& substance abuse referrals. (Formerly known as the "Community Vision" program.) Call 301-585-4471.
9) VOCATIONAL SERVICES: Engages 250 low-income and homeless individuals in job readiness classes, career counseling and training, and one-on-one job placement services.
DONATIONS: Accepts donations of clothing, sheets, towels, blankets and various household items. Call 301-424-3796.
Rent & Mortgage :
- phone: 301-762-8682
114 West Montgomery Avenue
Agency: Interfaith Works
Languages Available: Spanish
Payment Description: None.
Intake and Eligibility: Most services open to anyone in need residing in Montgomery County.
<br />Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Eligibility:
<br />- Montgomery County resident
<br />- there must be a resolution to the crisis
<br />- client not have received assistance from Interfaith Works in the last 12 months. Clients can be assisted 3 times total and no more than once a year.
<br />- not have an outstanding loan with Interfaith Works
<br />- must contribute at least 15% of the funds they require from Interfaith Works.
<br />- income within 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
<br />- not need assistance in amounts more than $500. If amount needed is more than $500, a referral from a community partner listed above is needed.