OVERVIEW: Provides emergency assistance, education, and ongoing case management to eligible county residents in need.
1) EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE: Offers assistance with court evictions, first month’s rent, food pantry services, utility termination and information and referral to other community programs. Must make an appointment and meet income guidelines. Appointments are made on a same-day, first-come, first-serve basis.
2) FOOD PANTRY: Issues county food bank cards. Cards maybe used once a month at any participating food pantries throughout the county. Must meet income guidelines.
3) HOUSING ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS: Provides comprehensive ways to help with housing issues. The programs are designed for individuals and families that are homeless or at risk of homelessness, transitioning from homelessness to permanent housing or receiving section 8 housing. Ongoing case management is required with these programs.
4) HOUSING COUNSELING: Offers clients landlord/tenant counseling, mortgage default counseling, pre-purchase counseling and reverse mortgage counseling. A housing counselor works with the client to remain in their existing home or find a better housing situation. These services are also available to landlords.
5) PROPERTY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: Provides eligible low income renters with affordable properties to rent and provides households with energy saving improvements to help reduce heating and cooling cost.
6) TRANSPORTATION: Provides transportation for the elderly, low income individuals, and individuals with disabilities. Offers transport to and from eligible medical appointments as well as additional transportation services. Para-Transit vouchers are accepted or there may be a fee for service. FREE employment transportation for employees of Hopewell Road businesses. Service operates Monday-Friday from downtown to Hopewell Road corridor.
Agency: Washington County Community Action Council
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: Must meet income guidelines. Have some fee for service programs for the public and only accepts check or money order.
Intake and Eligibility: Low-income and homeless individuals and families.