NOTE: Meals on Wheels is still in operation during the COVID-19 epidemic.
OVERVIEW: Offers assistance for older adults and individuals with disabilities. It is a statewide resource for information and assistance about long-term services and supports to allow individuals to remain at home and plan for future needs.
1) AGING AND DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER: Provides individuals who are seeking long term support information and counseling regarding available long term support options, and determining eligibility for public long term support programs and benefits. Benefits screening includes level of care determinations for Medicaid nursing facility and home and community-based service waiver programs.
2) INFORMATION AND REFERRAL: Connects individuals with information and referrals to other programs and benefits such as health promotion and disease prevention, transportation services, housing and income support programs that may help people remain in the community. Also promotes awareness for seniors so they do not become victims of fraud. Scam alert brochures and other information are provided and if seniors think that they are victims of fraud then they may report it to a staff member.
3) MEALS ON WHEELS: Meals on Wheels provides home-delivered meals and reassurance to homebound elderly age 60 and older.
4) HOME AIDE PROGRAM: Provides personal care, housekeeping, transportation and care taking services to chronically ill or severely disabled seniors.
5) LONG TERM CARE ADVOCACY(OMBUDSMAN PROGRAM): Investigates complaints regarding nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Provides special services including advocacy to the institutionalized elderly, their families and friends. Offers guidelines, regulations and literature on nursing home placement, and provides public education on clients' rights on Ombudsman services. For more information, contact Cherly Senkbeil, Ombudsman at 410-742-0505 EX 104.
6) FAMILY CAREGIVERS: Provides services which may provide emotional and/or financial support to persons providing care to a family member age 60 and older. Support groups meet the fourth Wednesday of each month from 12Noon-1PM at the MAC Senior Senior in the Wii Room.
7) HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAM: Provides basic education, wellness programs, aerobic classes, water therapy and exercise.
8) SENIOR EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM: Offers job training to residents of the lower shore. Must be 55 or older and on a limited income. Contact Carol Humphrey at 410-742-0505 EX 106 for more inforamtion.
9) STATE HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM (SHIP): Provides assistance to all Medicare beneficiaries & their families in understanding health insurance benefits, bills, and client's rights, including Medicare D and Pharmacy Assistance Programs. Offers in-person and telephone guidance on a wide variety of health insurance issues, such as:
o Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Program (Medicare Part D)
o Medicare supplements (Medigap Plans)
o Assistance for disabled Medicare beneficiaries (under age 65)
o Medicare Advantage Plans (HMOs, preferred provider organizations)
o Long Term Care Insurance
o Medical Assistance programs
o Assistance with denials, appeals and grievances
o Billing problems
o Health care fraud and abuse
10) RETIRED AND SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM: Matches volunteers ages 55 and older, with opportunities to work in a variety of settings, from schools to hospitals, with programs that fit volunteer skills and interests. For more information, contact Valerie Wagner, Director of RSVP at 410-742-0505 EX 112.
11) TAX ASSISTANCE 2019: (CLOSED) Offers free tax preparation by AARP volunteers to seniors, disabled persons and low to moderate income residents for the 2018 tax year. Tax preparations will take place Feb 6-Apr 9, 2019. Appointments will be scheduled for Tues only for 9AM-3PM. Must call to schedule an appointment.
12) SENIOR CENTERS: See separate listings for Wicomico & Dorchester County Senior Center.
See separate listing for Maryland Access Point, Worcester County.
909 Progress Circle
Intake and Eligibility: Individuals 18 and older with a disability and older adults 60 and older. See notes for individual programs.
- Dorchester County
- Somerset County
- Wicomico County