OVERVIEW: Provides assistance to individuals in need of financial assistance, food and homeless services.
1) DINING ROOM (Soup Kitchen): Offers hot meals to anyone in need on Monday - Friday 10:30AM-12PM.
2) EMERGENCY FOOD PANTRY: Provides groceries once every 30 days on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, 9-11A for Wicomico County residents only. Clients are screened, but no referral is necessary. Formula and pampers sometimes are available. Need ID and Social Security card for everyone in the family (if they are new clients or have not been to the Center for a year).
3) FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Provides funds for court-ordered evictions (go to DSS first), first month's rent or security deposit (need leasing agreement), utility turn-offs, water bills and prescriptions (go to Salvation Army first). Walk-ins must come in at 8:15AM on Tue, Wed and Thur. Their names are placed on a lottery list to receive service.
4) HOSPITALITY DAY ROOM FOR THE HOMELESS: Provides a temporary day shelter for homeless men and women. Offers showers, laundry, breakfast, lunch and one bag of clothes. Closes at 1:00AM.
5) HOLIDAY ASSISTANCE 2019:
THANKSGIVING: (CLOSED) Offers food giveaways to anyone in need, must sign up by November 7th. New clients signing-up or clients updating their cards after 11/7 will not be eligible to receive a turkey, only a chicken. Pantry clients will receive the following: Families with 1 to 3 will receive chicken. Families of 4 or more will receive a turkey.
Distribution for the turkeys and chicken will be on Tues 11/26 & Wed 11/ 27. There will be no food bags passed out on these dates.
CHRISTMAS: (CLOSED) Provides Christmas toys giveaway to families in need. Must be a client of the food pantry. New pantry clients must sign up by 11/7 in order to receive assistance. Any client that is signing up at the Salvation Army for Christmas assistance will be asked to decide who they want to receive their gifts from. If they decide to get them from Joseph House then they will notify the Salvation Army of the client's decision.
Distribution of toys will be Tues 12/17, Wed 12/18 & Thurs 12/19. There will be no food bags passed out on these dates.
6) REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE: Provides assistance to anyone that needs help managing their finances and paying their bills so that they will not fall into a crisis situation. Call for more information.
7) DONATIONS: Accepts clothing, food, household items and monetary donations all year.
- phone: 410-543-8171
- phone: 410-543-8171
812 Boundary Street
Agency: Joseph House, The
Languages Available: Spanish
Payment Description: None.
Intake and Eligibility: Open to the public. See notes.
- Wicomico County
- Worcester County
- Somerset County