OVERVIEW: Provides support services to individuals and families effected by epilepsy or developmental disabilities.
1) ADULT SERVICES: Provides counseling, information and referral and advocacy to persons with epilepsy and their families. Provides in-service training to professionals who interact with persons with epilepsy.
2) SCHOOL ALERT PROGRAM: Offers practical information to children with epilepsy, their families and educational personnel. Focus is on how to recognize seizures and what to do when a child has a seizure. Makes classroom presentations. Works to change public attitudes about epilepsy. Co-sponsors a summer day camp for developmentally disabled persons ages 6-20.
3) VOCATIONAL SERVICES: Provides job placement for developmentally disabled adults in competitive employment with necessary support services to ensure employee success. Includes assessment of client abilities, locating prospective employers and matching clients with appropriate jobs. Job coaches are available to help resolve any problems that may jeopardize employment.
4) EAES SCHOLARSHIP FUND: Provides a scholarship program for area high school graduating students who have epilepsy. Student must submit an application and an essay, for the scholarship award.
5) PUBLIC AWARENESS: Offers a community awareness campaign to dispel public misconceptions about epilepsy. Makes presentations at health fairs and for community groups, and other interested persons. Publishes a newsletter. Operates an ID bracelet program.
6) RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM: Provides 9 alternative living units with a live-in staff for adults with epilepsy, four supervised apartments for highly skilled developmentally disabled adults and 9 individual family care homes for adults.
7) KIDS ON THE BLOCK: Provides a puppet presentation aimed at 3rd and 4th grade students, for the purpose of dispelling myths about epilepsy.
688 East Main Street
Agency: United Needs and Abilities
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: All services are free except residential services (MA and SSI).
Intake and Eligibility: Persons with epilepsy, developmental disabilities, and their families.
- Caroline County
- Cecil County
- Dorchester County
- Kent County
- Queen Annes County
- Somerset County
- Talbot County
- Wicomico County
- Worcester County