OVERVIEW: Offers assistance for seniors and individuals, 18 and older with disabilities. It is a statewide resource for information and assistance about long-term services and supports to allow individuals to remain at home and plan for future needs.
1) AGING AND DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER: Provides individuals who are seeking long term support information and counseling regarding available long term support options, and determining eligibility for public long term support programs and benefits. Benefits screening includes level of care determinations for Medicaid nursing facility and home and community-based service waiver programs.
2) SENIOR FARMERS’ MARKET NUTRITION PROGRAM: Provides vouchers to low-moderate income older adults for use at local farmers’ markets in the community. Vouchers are provided in the summer (usually in June). Call for more information on eligibility, distribution sites, days, and times. Find a market here.
3) INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE: Offers in person assistance to individuals, families and caregivers with questions and/or concerns.
4) INSURANCE COUNSELING: Provides assistance to all Medicare beneficiaries & their families in understanding health insurance benefits, bills, and client's rights, including Medicare D and Pharmacy Assistance Programs. 301-265-8471
(SHIP) SERVICES: Offers in-person and telephone guidance on a wide variety of health insurance issues, such as:
o Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage Program (Medicare Part D)
o Medicare supplements (Medigap Plans)
o Assistance for disabled Medicare beneficiaries (under age 65)
o Medicare Advantage Plans (HMOs, preferred provider organizations)
o Long Term Care Insurance
o Medical Assistance programs
o Assistance with denials, appeals and grievances
o Billing problems
o Health care fraud and abuse
Also offers assistance for low-income beneficiaries and community presentations.
o SENIOR MEDICARE PATROL (SMP) program helps Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries avoid, detect, and prevent health care fraud and is designed to protect older persons and help preserve the integrity of the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
5) RETIRED AND SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM (RSVP), Provides people ages 55 and older the opportunity to put their skills and talents to work volunteering in their communities from a few hours up to 20 hours weekly in a variety of roles which include; mentoring and tutoring school-age children, supporting and providing support to government agencies and non-profit organizations, assisting seniors with health insurance challenges, supporting local libraries, providing telephone support to the homebound, preparing and delivering meals on wheels, advocating in nursing homes and assisted living facilities, assisting and supporting victims and witnesses during Circuit Court, providing hospice care and a variety of hospital support. 301-265-8486
6) INFORMATION AND REFERRAL: Links seniors and persons 18 and older with a disability with the various services and programs available to them including: transportation, housing, medical care, home visitations, nutrition, senior centers, legal services, financial management, adult day care, recreational activities, and tax assistance.
Senior Center Locations and Nutrition Sites:
1) Bowie Senior Center
14900 Health Center Drive Bowie, MD 20716
2) Council House Senior Nutrition Site
3940 Bexley Place Marlow Heights, MD 20746
3) Cresent Cities Jaycees
6807 Oxon Hill Road Oxon Hill, MD 20745
4) Langley Park Senior Center,
1500 Merrimac Drive, Langley Park, 20783
5) Glenarden Nutrition Site
8600 Glenarden Parkway Glenarden, MD 20706
6) Greenbelt Senior Center
15 Crescent Road Greenbelt, MD 20770
7) Greenridge Nutrition House
22 Ridge Road Greenbelt, MD 20770
8) Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center
4009 Wallace Road North Brentwood, MD 20722
9) Laurel Phelp’s Senior Center
7120 Contee Road Laurel, Maryland 20707
10) Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington (JCC) Temple Solel
2901 Mitchellville Road Bowie, MD 20716
301-348-3893 – Monday
11) New Carrollton Nutrition
6016 Princess Garden Parkway Lanham, MD 20706
12) New Home Baptist Church
8320 Landover Road Landover, MD 20785
301-773-0708 OR 8100
13) Owens Road Nutrition Site
1100 Owens Road Oxon Hill, Maryland 20745
14) Parkview Nutrition Site
9000 Briarcroft Lane Laurel, MD 20708
15) Shiloh Baptist Church
8801 Ardwick Ardmore Road Landover, MD 20785
16) St. Pauls Senior Living Apartments
1207 Addison Road Capitol Heights, MD 20743
17) Camp Spring Senior Center, Harriett Hunter Bldg
6420 Allentown Road, Camp Springs MD, 20748.
301-449-0490, Mon-Fri, 9AM-4:30PM.
18) Evelyn Cole Senior Center,
5720 Addison Road, Seat Pleasant MD, 20743.
301-386-5525, Mon-Fri, 9AM-4:30PM.
19) Langley Park-New Hampshire, Hispanic Center,
7315 New Hampshire Ave, Langley Park, MD 20903.
301-439-4020, Mon-Fri, 10AM-2PM.
6420 Allentown Road