OVERVIEW: Provides a variety of services to seniors in Calvert County and is the Maryland Access Point for Calvert County.
1) North Beach Senior Center, 9010 Chesapeake Avenue, North Beach, MD 20714, 410-257-2549.
2) Southern Pines Senior Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby, MD 20657. 410-586-2748.*
3) Calvert Pines Senior Center, 450 West Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick, MD 20678, 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.*
*Southern Pines Senior Center & Calvert Pines Senior Center provides 2018 tax Assistance. Call for more detailed information.
1) SENIOR INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE: Provides information on senior services, resources and assistance in securing benefits and services available to senior citizens. (See separate listing in this catalog.)
2) LEGAL SERVICES: Provides referrals to Calvert County attorneys who offer reduced fees for preparation of wills and deeds. Legal Aid representatives provide free telephone and personal consultations regarding denial of benefits, consumer complaints and landlord tenant disputes. Consultations are by appointment only at each senior center.
3) SUPPORT SERVICES
o Caregivers Support Group meets monthly at the Calvert Pines Senior Center.
o Calvert Pines Senior Center staff members provide extra support to participants with developmental disabilities. Calvert Pines houses a medical equipment loan closet which provides free wheelchairs, portable commodes and shower stools. Participants who need transportation to medical appointments and errands in the Prince Frederick area may access a shuttle service at Calvert Pines.
o Nursing Home Ombudsman visits residents of nursing homes and assisted living communities to investigate complaints about care and advocates on behalf of residents.
o Respresentative / Guardianship serves as representative for the public guardian for persons ages 65 and over who are in need of guardianship or to prevent a need for guardianship.
o Office on Aging (OOA) publishes a bimonthly newsletter providing information on events and issues of interest to persons aged 50 and over. Can be picked up at sites free of charge, on line, or by subscription to cover the cost of mailing.
4) NUTRITION SERVICES:
o Meals are served to senior 60 + at each Senior Center, Monday-Friday at 12PM. Reservations are required; contributions are requested.
o OOA OOA partners with Calvert Meals on Wheels to provide meals 5 days a week to persons who are homebound. Contributions are requested.
5) RECREATION/EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS: Each Senior Center offers a variety of activities. Activities included but are not limited to arts and crafts, ceramics, fitness room, physical fitness, nutrition and health education, trips and cultural events. Parties, billiards, bingo and card games. A fee may be required to cover the costs of materials or trips.
6) TRANSPORTATION: Public Transportation offers fixed and diverged routes throughout Calvert County to access senior centers, medical offices, employment areas, and major shopping sites. Para transit services are available to disabled individuals upon approval. Scheduled routes are available Monday through Friday with limited service on Saturday. Fees apply. Adults 60+ with limited income may be eligible for free ridership. Call 410-535-4268 or 410-535-4510.
7) MARYLAND ACCESS POINT (MAP) offices serve as a single point of entry for seniors and adults with disabilities who are seeking resources to minimize confusion, enhance individual choice, and support informed decision-making. They provide a wide range of services to include information and referral, benefits screening, telephone reassurance and more. Trained staff can assess needs and provide resources and referrals to appropriate agencies.
Agency: Calvert County Office on Aging
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: Some programs require a fee.
Intake and Eligibility: Open to any Calvert County resident aged 50 and older.